One Step Ahead with Digital Transformation
Digital Experience and consumer services have become part of every day life, and not only for digital natives. The pace of digital transformation is increasing rapidly across the globe but many businesses are still ill-equipped to meet with the expectations of their digitally-minded customers. Numerous consumer associated digital processes, such as simple address changes, cannot be currently be handled in a cross-channel manner and therefore is rarely dealt with in a single working day. Back-office and support staff are affected by these shortcomings as their processes are not seen as a core part of company survival. Some industries, such as the manufacturing industry, have embraced automation but many other industries lag behind. Lukas Hebeisen, Head of Implementation and Digital Transformation at Swiss Post Solutions, outlines how Digital Transformation can be of benefit for document and information management in corporations, as well as ways in which these corporations can avoid unnecessary failure.
"Powerful Automation tools will soon revolutionize all routine work, as manual processes will soon be taken over by Intelligent Automation systems."
- Lukas Hebeisen, Swiss Post Solutions
The Advantages of Growing with the Digital Transformation:
Lukas Hebeisen has explained that there are numerous advantages of growing with the global digital transformation. To put it directly, implementing a digital transformation into document and information management makes the entirety of corporations’ business processes as simplistic as possible. By implementing self-learning automation solutions, end-to-end processes can be automated, allowing for much faster and efficient control. New digital technologies are providing more specific advantages to business processes and certain tools can help tackle specific issues that a business may face.
- The advantages of intelligent automation are particularly evident in connection with routine processes such as data input, verification and validation. Intelligent automation therefore offers unimagined opportunities for more efficient, yet cheaper processing.
- Until now, documents such as emails, word files or excel spreadsheets, needed to be processed by a workforce. Intelligent automation solutions are now able to identify, classify and interpret information in these unstructured documents. The faster the documents are processed, the quicker CFOs and other decision makers have reliable figures available to make accurate forecasts. Automatic OCR tools are specifically impacting this area of business processes.
- Robots and other automation systems that only perform the tasks they have been programmed to, will soon be history. They are currently being replaced with intelligent automation solutions that have self-learning capabilities similar to those which are commonly associated with Artificial intelligence. These new systems will learn as they go, driving automation to an ever higher level.
"Intelligent automation solutions must also be future-proof, so they can be upgraded and extended in line with the latest developments and changing business requirements."
- Lukas Hebeisen, Swiss Post Solutions
What to look out for when Implementing new Intelligent automation Technologies:
Despite digital transformation offering a significant number of advantages, Lukas points out that there are still situations to be aware of when implementing these new technologies to avoid unnecessary failure. To succeed in today’s market, corporations need to offer customers professional and future-proof solutions and services while also cutting costs. Below are certain situations companies should be wary of when implementing new tools to be one step ahead of the digital transformation.
- Intelligent automation must always be customized to suit the needs of an organization. It is imperative that the entire process, from end-to-end and across all divisions and departments of the company, is analysed in detail so that all the elements of the solution are fully integrated. Subsequent adjustments and re-configurations can be very costly.
- Many companies are required by law to document all interactions with customers, irrespective of communication channels. To achieve compliance, workflows must be fully digitized and all documents must be archived in an electronic format. Simultaneously, Intelligent automation should document all steps along the process chain.
- Intelligent automation solutions must be future-proof, so that they can be upgraded and extended in line with the latest technical developments and changing business requirements. It is necessary to adopt a holistic approach, as all aspects of a process must be taken into consideration.